The Chair welcomed Mayor Mike Starkie to the meeting to present his 2020/21 Draft budget to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee (OSC) for discussion. The Director of Financial Resources and the Mayor’s Political Advisor were also welcomed to help provide further details to any questions that the committee might have.
Mayor Starkie presented an in-depth overview of the 2020/21 draft budget, highlighting the main points of the budget and noting that the Budget will be going to Full Council on Monday 10 February 2020.
The Committee was then invited to ask the Mayor and the Director of Financial Resources questions regarding the budget. OSC went through the report thoroughly, which included the; Fees and Charges Schedules, Use of Reserves Schedule, Capital Investment Strategy, Treasury Management Strategy Statement (TMSS), Minimum Revenue Policy Statement and Annual Investments Strategy (2020/21), Local Council Tax Support Scheme, Pay Policy (2019/20) and Budget consultation responses (2020/21). OSC then asked questions regarding the following topics:
· Street Lighting - budget allocation and CALC review
· Reserve resources clarification
· Pride of Place Employment
· Beacon review
· Council Tax requirements
· Rural Services Delivery Grant update
· Waste Income
· PFI Agreement clarification
· Commercial investments
· Markets review
The majority of questions were answered by both the Mayor and the Director of Financial Resources during the meeting. Of those that were not, responses will be obtained and sent to the OSC and forwarded to the Executive.
RESOLVED: – That,
a) As per the recommendation, the 2020/21 Budget report to the Executive be considered.
b) The responses required from the unanswered questions be obtained and forwarded to the relevant parties
- OSC 2021 budget cover report, item OSC 20/77 PDF 43 KB
- 2021 Budget report V3 (Exec) (no links), item OSC 20/77 PDF 159 KB
- Appendix A2 Planning Application Fees, item OSC 20/77 PDF 101 KB
- Appendix B Earmarked Reserves, item OSC 20/77 PDF 370 KB
- Appendix C Capital Strategy, item OSC 20/77 PDF 166 KB
- Appendix E LCTS, item OSC 20/77 PDF 35 KB
- Appendix F Pay Policy 1920, item OSC 20/77 PDF 97 KB
- Appendix G Budget Consultation, item OSC 20/77 PDF 57 KB